Fury says ‘Joshua fights’ as deadline expires
Tyson Fury says his proposed world heavyweight title fight with Anthony Joshua in December is over after his self-imposed deadline expired.
WBC champion Fury, 34, issued an ultimatum to fellow Briton Joshua, 32, on Monday.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn responded by saying yes “no chance” that the contract would be signed then.
“Okay guys, it’s official. D-day has come and gone. It’s past five o’clock on Monday. No contract signed,” Fury said on Instagram.
“It’s officially over for Joshua. He’s now out in the cold with the wolf pack.
“Forget it. I always knew you didn’t have the minerals to fight the ‘gypsy king.’
“Regardless of what you say now, I really don’t care. Good luck with your career and life. End. Peace of mind.”
Joshua’s team has already done that he verbally accepted Fury’s offer of a 60-40 split for a fight on December 3, and TV executives from BT Sport and streaming service DAZN were due to meet on Monday.
“It’s not in my hands, it’s with a legal team,” Joshua said on Instagram. “That’s why you hire lawyers.
“Know the history of boxing – make sure you get your legal terms right. That’s why you get good management and good lawyers.
“So of course I’m going to sign the contract; it’s just with some lawyers for now.”
Fury said he would still fight on December 3 if the Joshua fight falls through.
Last month Joshua could not recover the WBA (Super), WBO and IBF belts which he lost to 35-year-old Oleksandr Usyk.
The Ukrainian said he plans to have three more fights before he retires, including a unification bout with Fury, but Joe Joyce is now the mandatory challenger for Usyk’s WBO title after beating Joseph Parker on Saturday.